Here’s a delicious healthy blueberry collagen smoothie packed with nutrients to help promote healthy skin, hair, and nails. Not only will this health in a cup give you a boost in collagen, but it will also help promote happy balanced hormones.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a protein and it’s the most abundant one in our bodies. Collagen acts like the “glue” in our bodies. It’s part of what makes up our skin, bones, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Taking a collagen supplement can help improve these important parts of our body, which will in return help give you a healthy glow!
There are several foods that contain collagen (including avocados, eggs, pumpkin seeds, etc.) however, choosing a collagen supplement can be an easy way to be sure you’re getting your daily suggested intake!
There are many collagen supplements out on the market, but my favorite is Original Collagen Peptides by Vital Proteins. It is Whole 30 approved, paleo friendly, gluten and dairy free, has no added sugars, and one serving contains 20g collagen peptides. My favorite is the unflavored and I add it to my coffee and smoothies without it changing the flavor.
Top 5 Benefits of Collagen
- Helps improve skin hydration and elasticity.
- Eases joint pain.
- Strengthens hair and nails.
- Promotes a healthy heart.
- Helps promote a healthy gut.
Balanced Hormones and Seed Cycling
I’m all about balancing my hormones as best as I can these days. Seed cycling is one way that I like to do that.
Simply, seed cycling is a way for women to balance their hormones by consuming certain seeds based on what phase they are in in their cycles.
When seed cycling, there are two phases of your menstrual cycle.
Phase 1 (days 1-14 of your menstrual cycle): consume 1 tablespoon ground flax and 1 tablespoon ground raw pumpkin seeds.
Phase 2 (days 14-28 of your menstrual cycle): consume 1 tablespoon ground raw sunflower seed & 1 tablespoon ground sesame seed.
There are many great resources out there on the topic of seed cycling. I encourage you to read more about it and do your own research on it to see if it’s the right fit for your lifestyle!
1/2 cup frozen blueberry
1 cup frozen mango
3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 tablespoon ground pumpkin seed
2 scoops of collagen
1/2 cup water
Add greek yogurt, water, and collagen powder.
Next, add frozen blueberries and mangos then add in ground pumpkin and flax seeds.
Blend until smooth.
Pour into a glass cup and enjoy!
- Substitute the type of seeds based off of what phase of your cycle you’re in. For example, if you are in phase 2 (days 14-28) then use ground sesame and sunflower seed (instead of pumpkin and flax seed as in the posted recipe).
- To change the amount of sweetness of the smoothie, add less vanilla Greek yogurt than what the original recipe calls for.
- To make this smoothie dairy free, you can substitute the Greek vanilla yogurt for coconut milk.
Healthy Blueberry Collagen Smoothie
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberry
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp ground pumpkin seed
- 2 scoops collagen
- 1/2 cup water
- Add Greek yogurt, water, and collagen powder.Next, add frozen blueberries and mangoes then add in ground pumpkin and flax seeds.Blend until smooth.Pour into a glass cup and enjoy!